Each day, people all over the world rely on technology to conduct business, attend virtual meetings, and telecommute to the office. Telemedicine uses today’s communications technologies to deliver health care services to you when you can’t physically get to your practitioner’s office. Maria Jefferson-Walker, DNPc, APN, FNP-BC, owner of Hope Wellness, is a nurse practitioner who offers people in the Beverly, Chicago area the convenience of telemedicine as part of her direct primary care approach to health care. To learn more, call or schedule a consultation using the online booking tool.
What is telemedicine?
Telemedicine is a real-time, two-way interaction between a patient and a healthcare practitioner via telephone or video conferencing. It allows medical professionals to evaluate, diagnose, and treat their patients from a distance, or whenever it’s not possible for you to be physically in the same location. Telemedicine is often part of concierge medicine and direct primary care practices.
What are some of the benefits of telemedicine?
Along with the benefit of being able to see your medical practitioner from a distance when you need medical attention, telemedicine comes with several other benefits for both you and your healthcare provider. Some of these include:
- Faster, direct access to your medical professional
- Practitioners are able to share knowledge with each other or consult specialists
- Closer monitoring for those managing chronic conditions without multiple, in-person office visits
- Evaluation of symptoms and diagnosis quickly and conveniently
- Greater access to medical care for residents in rural communities
- Convenient follow-up visits after an in-person consultation
- Less time away from work or school or rearranging your schedule
- High level of privacy
- No exposure to others who may be contagious
- Convenient for those who are physically unable, or have great difficulty traveling
What types of telemedicine services does Maria provide?
Maria provides her patients with the convenience of “video visits.” Through video chat, she can often evaluate symptoms of uncomplicated, acute conditions, such as:
- A cold or flu
- Stomach virus
- Minor cuts and burns
- Minor sprains and strains
- Sore throats
- Rashes or other skin irritations
- Minor body aches and pains
In many cases, you can effectively treat these temporary conditions with over-the-counter medications, or home remedies and rest. But, it’s good to know you have quick access to a medical professional, just to be sure it isn’t something that requires additional medical attention.
If you live in the Chicago area and you’re looking for a more comprehensive and convenient approach to health care that includes telemedicine with your primary care provider, call or schedule a consultation with Maria and the caring medical team at Hope Wellness Center & Spa.